We had a question from a user this week. They need help with WooCommerce and Product Categories:
“I have set up a custom role for a Woocommerce product manager and it works perfectly except for the fact that the new role can not assign or set up product categories. Is this possible to do please?”
Yes, this is possible although you won't need the TaxoPress plugin. We recommended using the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
Here are the steps to do it:
- Make sure you have PublishPress Capabilities installed on your site.
- Go to “Capabilities” in your WordPress admin menu.
- In the top-left corner, select the custom role from the dropdown.
- Click on the WooCommerce option in the left sidebar.
- In the center of the screen, you will see the capabilities of the custom role that you created for WooCommerce. In the screenshot below, I'm using a role called “Store Manager”.
- In order to make sure that custom role can assign product categories, add a checkmark on “assign product terms”. Click here for more about the assign product terms capability.
- To ensure this role can manage and edit product categories, you will need to add a checkmark on “edit product terms” and “manage product terms”.
As a comparison, this is a screenshot of the WooCommerce admin menu before we assign those capabilities to our custom role. The products menu only shows “All Products” and “Add New”. You will find no Categories or Tags menu link.
After we make changes in this tutorial, users in our custom role will be able to access the Categories and Tags menu links.
If you need more WooCommerce help, TaxoPress can automatically create WooCommerce Product Tags and Categories.